Tuesday, September 3, 2013

PAC Alumni Profile: Nathan Crosby

Great things are happening for 2010 graduate Nathan Crosby. He will be making his Portland Center Stage debut with Fiddler on the Roof this fall and he is a proud new member of Theatre Vertigo, joining the company's two other conservatory alums, Mario Calcagno (class of 2004) and Tom Mounsey (class of 2008).

Nathan Crosby

Taking a moment in between rehearsals, Nate recently shared some thoughts with us about his time at PAC and his love of theatre.

Nate, when did you first get started in theatre?

I got started in theatre my freshman year of high school. A pretty senior girl dragged me down to the drama department on the first day of school and forced me to sign up to audition for A Midsummer Night's Dream. When it came time to audition, I chickened out and didn't show up. I have regretted it ever since. It was a magical show, one that I have never forgotten. Suffice it to say, I have never missed another opportunity to audition!

Can you describe why you chose to attend PAC?

I chose PAC because the traditional 4 year college just was not doing it for me. I tend to devote all my energy to subjects and activities I am most interested in, and those that don't interest me can get rather neglected. So I decided the best way to fix this problem would be to go to a school where I could focus entirely on things that interested me.

What have you done since graduating from PAC?

I have done quite a bit since graduating from PAC. I was lucky enough to be hired by Artists Repertory Theatre right after graduation and have performed in at least one show a year with them ever since. I have worked several times with Northwest Classical Theatre, Profile Theatre, and CoHo Productions, along with several other companies around town.

I also just got cast for the first time at Portland Center Stage, and in a musical no less! Should be interesting. I am also a pretty handy guy with a wrench. If I am not on the stage, you can usually find me backstage at one theater or another hanging lights, doing what interests me.

How has the training you received here affected your life and career?

I got several of my best friends out of PAC. It really creates a special bond among its graduates. It also gave me a fantastic base of teachers and mentors I can go to and ask for advice or counsel when I need it.

What advice do you have for new acting students?

For new acting students I think the best advice I can give is be patient, listen, and fail as often and as hard as you can. You never know what works until you know what doesn't and why.

Any advice for recent PAC graduates?

For those that have just graduated and are headed out into the acting world, I would say: never miss an opportunity, you never know what will turn into a job. Diversify. What else are you good at? How can you market other skills you have? Can you juggle? Play pool really well? Do card tricks or stunt driving? Figure out how to make money doing it. And lastly, be patient. If you are constantly looking, people will notice, something will come along you did not even expect. It is very difficult to get no after no, but the one yes makes all the difference.

Nathan will be appearing this fall in Portland Center Stage's Fiddler on the Roof, which runs September 14 — October 27, and you can find him onstage with Theatre Vertigo for their 2013-14 Season!

No comments: