Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Crown Making 101

Welcome to my crown making workshop! Aka: my dining room table.
Tonight I put the final touches on the proto-crowns for tomorrow's rehearsal of "Richard III". Currently, they are all bound up with clips so I'm not sure of their actual weight. I think all the added baubles will help for holding them on actor's heads.

The Kings' crown is stainless steel. I will be making the final one in brass. I've glammed it up a couple of ways for our ensemble to consider. In this picture you can also see a couple of designs I am considering for adorning a simple band crown. However, I'm pretty sure it will look too much like a hippy head band. But I had fun making the little squares. The Queens' crown is all brass, with red glass beads and gold beads attached all the way around. I am concerned that the beads look too much like what they are - garden/vase glass blobs. On stage, however, they may look fine. I think I should make one that is simpler still - a plain band with little gold semi-spheres on it seems appealing. I'll work on that tomorrow. If the cast likes the crenalated ones, I think I'll affix the perpendicular bits on the inside of the crown. Wish I'd thought of it earlier, but that's why these are prototypes!

Stay tuned for the finished product!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That is awesome. I just showed the entire office and we are impressed. Can't wait to see it on the stage.

Phoebe J. Southwood said...

Thanks! The stainless steel crown crashed and burned on the first night. The weld glue didn't hold at all, but the brass works fine, and we decided on a comprehensive style for both crowns, as well.

Everyone looks wicked cool with crowns on.

Huzzah!

Jack Wells said...

I'm starting to feel really gipped; I don't get a crown and I don't get to hold a sword. WAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh well. At least I have a cool death scene.

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhhh Phoebe,

as Queen Margret I will not have the crown...so I start to be really jelous about ;-) No, really, they look soo great. Thank you very much for makeing them!!!

How do Americans say "awsome"!!!!

Yes!!!!

If you need a job...you should go into the buisness of making crowns...you know the old fashing is always comeing back.

Scott(y) said...

The look pretty awesome....where's mine.