Friday, January 30, 2009

Jacob's Memoirs. CHAPTER ONE: BRIGHTON BEACH

When I first heard that "Brighton Beach Memoirs" was being considered for the 2009 season at Portland Actors Conservatory I was overcome with excitement, intrigue and desire.
The play comes with a bit of history with me.
I was introduced to the play back in my Freshman year at Oregon City High School. My Drama One class. It was actually the first play script I had ever read. I instandly loved the balance of hilarious comedy, colorful characters and I found Eugene very interesting, but also it's use of drama and discussion of serious and valid family troubles and woes.
In all truth I loved the character of Stanley. I actually played him in a scene assgnment for the class.
Of course when I read the play again, this time in preperation fo the auditions at PAC, I found my mouth would drop and internally I would think: "Holy crap! I was such a Eugene!"
And to some extent I still am.
After being awarded the part of Eugene there was this strange nostalgic feeling of returning to the play that ultimately was there at the begining of my acting education and practice.
I read the play maybe 50 times before the read-through wtih the cast and each time I could find something new to maybe laugh at or think on; it's just such a full play you can enjoy it every time. It's so easy to have fun with it.
And luckily the cast, I feel anyway, still have so much fun with it.
And thank God for that.
~jacob bean-watson.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing that Jacob! Your relationship with this play is very powerful--a full circle. I look forward to seeing your interpretation of Eugene.

-Sarah

Anonymous said...

Thats absolutly amazing. I cant wait to see how you portray his character! Your imaginative and have a bright future ahead, dont waste it.

Anonymous said...

I think I will watch this play in a more observant way after reading how excited you truly are to become Eugene, at
least on stage!
Becky