Friday, January 30, 2009

Jacob's Memoirs: CHAPTER TWO: EUGENE

Like I said before, I find myself totally in relation with the character of Eugene.
Granted, I'm not too terribly far from the age of this character (me being 20, Eugene being 15), which by the way, helps emmensely in the character analysis side of things.
I don't only see a lot of myself in Eugene: the dreamer, the writer, the young one, etc. But I admire a lot of him as well. And I really kind of miss being that age where all you had to worry about was so comically minute but in your head, heart and gut it was your WORLD CRISIS.
Eugene is a boy. Right on the cusp of manhood (at least for 1937.) He's really in search of his status in the world. At hom he's just the kid who plays too loudly and obnoxiously and writes a lot. But for Eugen he has plays and goals, a future worked out and to him so attainable.
One of my very favorate tings about this play is the brothers: Eugene and Stanley. As a pair. I never really had that big brother/little brother realationship with my actual brother. But fo some reason it's easy to find it in playing opposate Mark, who plays Stan. Those are my favorate scenes to play.
I truly have enjoyed and will continue to enjoy the portrayal of this character. I have fun with it every time and taht's really what I want to bring to the table, so when I first address the audience they won't necessarily think Eugene Morris Jerome but they'll think: "Eugene the fun and goofy 15-year-old narrator."
That's me!
~jacob bean-watson

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see the play,you make it sound fun to watch,I like that!! See you soon .

Anonymous said...

Well if there was any doubt that you will be an amazing Eugene I think they are gone!!!!! At least for me as I was in the audience for the firt preveiw and I was completely blown away. Your ability to bring to life such a colorful and emotional character is a treat to behold. I expect we will be seeing much more from you be it on stage or screen. Keep up the good work and I will wait anxiouslt to see you again.

A.W.