Tuesday, July 8, 2008

A Moment of Clarity

Play! That's what it is. It was right there staring me in the face all along. It took me, how long? Since last August or something to run into this damn elephant. Hello Mr. Elephant, thank you for waiting patiently.

After spending so much time with everyone this last year, we have all created such a wonderful part of this living creature that is The Portland Actor's Conservatory. After watching everyone perform their scenes, it hit me hard...we've been up to something! I can say with all my heart that I am proud of every one of us. We have all found ourselves in some strange place, not at all unlike where we were whenever we began this quest of ours. Along the way, we have all made some very beautiful breakthroughs, thanks to much sweat, frustration and dancing.

During our final presentations for Acting 3, I realized what we have all been working towards and somehow found. That room was alive. We were alive. We found that magic thing that is called play. Thank you Beth, Phillip, Connor and everyone for your occasional gentle nudges, and more often not so gentle nudges. I got it. We are not here to "do it right" or to try. We are here to do. We are here to play. I look forward for much more sweat, frustration, dancing and especially playing in level 4, and beyond. Bring it on!

No comments: