Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Fear to fly

Shakespeare is one class that I thought was going to be unappealing to me, maybe because we tend to create images in our mind before the experiences. I was so wrong.
In Shakespeare I have learned many things, I am appreciating language more than before and I have practiced exercises that are SO useful and really get to the emotions in a very “practical” way.
Yesterday, we did a very moving exercise, where we first had to define the primary emotion of our monologue (I am playing Tamora in Titus Andronicus).
For me the feeling was fear. Then we had to breathe and ask (repeat) for something that we needed to fulfill that emotion. For me it was: “I need help”. And I had to repeat it as many times as I need it to really reach into the urgency. I repeat it, and repeat it until I felt I was shaking and then I did my piece completely immerse in that wave of fear and desperation. I feel it really worked for my intention.
Later I shared with the class that the fear I felt during that exercise compares with my fear to fly. I hate to fly; an airplane it’s the place where I probably feel most insecure, vulnerable and desperate of all. I fly quite often so I remember this feeling very well.
I just wish that the next time I have to fly, I give myself permission to say: “I need help”.

1 comment:

Jack Wells said...

I know what you mean. When I did it, mine was "I need revenge" and I got so angry that (if only I didn't have bronchitis and been forced to whisper) I was sweating and shaking and about to scream. I was PISSED!!! (My monolouge is Beatrice from "Much Ado About Nothing" just after the wedding, btw)

Drat, I HATE it when teachers are right and an exercise actually helps. LOL, just kidding, it was a great exercise that I'm going to use in the future if I feel like I need to upgrade my verbs/stakes.

You're a sweetie too Veronika, and great fun to have in class.

Jack