Monday, May 5, 2008

Where is my Hiding Place?

Certainly not in the rehearsal room with Beth Harper! We've finished our first full week of rehearsals, and things seem to be coming along nicely. It's taken me some time to mentally adjust to Beth's style of directing, which is different from Connor's or Philip's, but now I am able to appreciate the benefits of her approach, too. I've been finding it a challenge to find the kind of masculine confidence that Karl needs to possess, as my natural tendency when put in similar situations is quite the opposite. But I guess that's why it's called acting, right? Something good did happen at the end of last week, though. Beth gave me a Secondary Activity* to do, and wow, even I could feel the difference. It's amazing how sometimes just a little thing will let me get into the scene instead of watching it critically. I'll attempt to keep everyone updated as things progress.

- Tom

*Super secret technical theatre/acting term

2 comments:

Jack Wells said...

You mean going out and spending and INSANE amount of money on food and drinks really gets you into a scene? Hmmmm, I'll have to try that myself sometime...

Jack

Anonymous said...

Its awesome that you have found a way to leave your head space. Now that it is in your body, you will find it a little easier to let go and trust your yourself. Secondary activities really help me focus and interact in the moment as well. It prohibits me from anticipating or judging myself. This is a major corner you have just turned. Congrats!!!

sarah