Friday, May 2, 2008

So I'm a geek...

...and want to write down a my break-throughs. Actually, this is more like showing progress, which hey, who'd a thunk I'd ever have any lol.

So I went to a clown/physical comedy workshop the other day and the guy teaching it did a Commedia del'arte workshop for our theatre history class and it was one of the funnest things we did there. His name is Michael O'Neill and he studied at the Commadia del'arte school, Clown school, toured with both, etc. He's about 5'9-10 and probly 250 lbs w/ auburn super curly hair and beard. The dude is a tank. But a sweet and fun one.

There were only 4 of us there besides Michael: Phoebe, Shawnda (didn't know her), and Billy (Shawnda's 12 y/o son). Shawnda was funny, Billy was too but he was less into it (he's 12 for goodness sake and has a bad case of 'gotta be cool'). We did some movement stuff, some of which I know (Thank you Phillip). We did lead from your head, hips, belly, and heart. Now, lead from your heart is different from lead w/ your chest. When you "lead from your heart" it's kinda more of a mental thing; you're more open to the world and everyone around you. Your armor is off.

He had us do those on command, then let us pick one to do on our own for several minutes. I chose lead from the heart (for some unknown reason), and after we were done we circled up and this is what Michael said.

Micheal: OMG Jack, when you lead from your heart it was amazing! Your posture didn't change that much but you became so open and vulnerable I just wanted to pick you up and take you home. I thought, wow, if this girl can open up like that I wonder: Will you marry me? I mean, the first time I saw you you were so closed; you're not a person who opens up a lot do you? [I nod] and the difference is just amazing. I mean I just really wanted to put my arms around you and pick you up and carry away.

And he comes over and picks me up like he's gonna cart me off. Then he put me back down again and I went and hid behind Phoebe. Gah, don't use the m-word, even as a joke! Evillllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll!

Micheal: Hey, I embarressed her, I win the award!

It was funny. But the point of it is is that I have made progress. I know why, but if you want details you'll have to ask; that stuff ain't going on the public blog. Probably tomorrow I'll have my blocks back in place and I'm not there yet, not by any stretch of the imagination, but today I had a break-through. Yayness!

Jack

4 comments:

Jack Wells said...

P.S. This entry is entirely Sarah's fault as she said she wanted us to post about our break-throughs... So that's why ya'll were subjected to the above!

;)

Anonymous said...

leading from the heart vs. the chest.....it's amazing when you feel the difference. i had forgotten about that. thanks for sharing, since we're "sharing" here is a confession for you: i have a show tonight (which you should come see) and have been sitting in my apartment all afternoon with little energy and a low desire to perform. reading this has actually stirred up some things for me and i'm feeling quite turned around. thanks for reminding me why i love performance. thanks jack. -sarah

Jack Wells said...

Wow, you're very welcome Sarah. And I'm gonna try and make it to the show sometime this week, so break many appendanges.

Jack

Vero said...

Hey Jack,
That workshop sounds amazing. If you now about any other workshops that Michael is offering, let me know.
I am happy to be sharing the classes with you. You are an amazing and sweet person. Veronika.